There are a lot of options when it comes to choosing foods that will naturally clean, whiten, and brighten your teeth. These foods will even act as natural defenders in your mouth from bacteria that could potentially harm your teeth and gums. There are two primary objectives you should definitely consider regarding a white teeth diet: chewing and saliva production.
For a white teeth diet, you will want to select foods that are going to work hard to clean and guard your teeth against harmful bacteria. It is actually quite easy to eat your way to whiter teeth.
Here are ten of our most favorite foods:
- Strawberries. The bright cardinal red color of strawberries may try to confuse you, but don’t let it. Strawberries contain an enzyme called malic acid that thoroughly cleanses your teeth and works to eliminate surface stains. You could even try smashing one up to put right on your toothbrush!
- Fiber-rich Vegetables. Deliciously crunchy veggies like celery and broccoli will works wonders for both your waist and gum lines. These foods are rich in fiber and will stimulate saliva, which will help wash away any stubborn food debris. You can even switch it up between different vegetables like celery with broccoli, carrots or cauliflower. You will see the same awesome benefits from all of these delicious snacks!
- Dairy. Lactic acid, which is contained in almost all dairy including milk, yogurt, and cheese, will fight decay and guard your teeth against harmful bacteria. Additionally, dairy contains tooth-strengthening calcium.
- Flaxseed. Being rich in Omega-3 fatty acid, flaxseed is high in one of the strongest anti-inflammatory nutrients that exist. Foods that reduce the risk of inflammation can protect you against gum disease.
- Pineapple. Pineapples contain an enzyme called bromelain that, among its many other benefits, will act as a natural stain remover for your teeth. Eating this juicy tropical fruit will also keep plaque from forming by increasing your saliva production.
- Onions. Not the tastiest treat, but the sulfur compounds in onions will prevent plaque from forming on your teeth. Unfortunately, this trick only works when the onion is consumed raw.
- Apples. This tasty fruit will help to strengthen your gums. Plus, since an apple is high in water content, it will increase your saliva production. That extra spit will clean away any excess bacteria that might cause staining on your pearly whites.
- Baking Soda. You can actually brush your teeth with this baking soda. It will act just like a bleaching agent for your teeth. As a form of salt, the “soda” will exfoliate your teeth and remove sticky plaque and unattractive surface stains.
- Oranges and Pears. The flesh of these super yummy fruits will neutralize the acid in your mouth that could end up decaying your teeth.
- Water. Water will keep you hydrated, happy, and smiling that bright white smile. Sip and swish between bites of dark foods that have a high chance of staining your teeth. Be sure to avoid sparkling water, though. Those bubbles can damage your enamel and hurt your teeth.
If you know of more foods that whiten teeth or if you would like to know more about foods that whiten your teeth, let us know at your next visit to Eagle Rock Dental Care in Rexburg. You can schedule an appointment online or contact us and we will schedule it for you.